Thursday, February 10, 2011

Give a Girl a Fairy...

Today I watched Shakespeare Retold: A Midsummer Night's Dream. I enjoyed it although I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Puck made my day. That's about it.

Frankly, I'm not as impressed with Shakespeare as I told myself I would be if I could just get myself excited about it. I now get excited about Shakespeare. I am not impressed. A good tale he could certainly tell, if only slightly predictable. My thoughts in one comment? I enjoy Dickens so much more.

Not only that, Shakespeare has done something terrible. He has filled my mind with fairies. Give a girl a fairy and she'll ask you for a princess. You'll give her a princess and she'll think of a castle. So you'll build her a castle and she'll need a dragon to get her princess to the castle. Once her princess is at the castle she'll discover it's owned by an evil dark lord and she'll need a prince to get the princess out again.... the list goes on and while I should be working on my countless other projects, I've been writing a fairy tale all day.

Oh, and one last thing. If you listen to Owl City's "Hot Air Balloons" while writing a fairy tale you'll end up in an unbelievably whimsical mood.

2 comments:

  1. DICKENS! He was a genius, he was.

    And I know how you feel. The other day I saw a picture of a girl wearing three different shades of pink, an orange sweater with big buttons, and big black galoshes, who was riding an old, yellow bicycle with -- get this -- the bike-basket-thing filled with skeins of brightly colored yarn. Whoa. A whole story erupted in my mind... And all other projects went on hold. >.O Gotta love spontaneous inspiration... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this just made me laugh inside. Concocting spur-of-the-moment stories sometimes turn out to be the best ones, you know!

    Dickens is indeed grand, isn't he? I plan on reading "A Tale of Two Cities" sometime in March, I think.

    Shakespeare, though.. hmm... never read anything from him, but I'm not thrilled about trying it either. I have plenty of years still left though in my life though, so I might end up trying him out someday. =)

    Thanks for linking up on my blog by the way! (yes, I realize that was days ago now... I'm catching up...)

    Have a great Friday, my writing friend!
    ~ Tarissa

    ReplyDelete