Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Jane Eyre and Robin Hood

Remember when I posted that picture of Jane and Mr. Rochester and every single person who left a comment knew who they were? Yeah, I didn't think I was going to stump to many people on that one. Anyway, this is that post I was talking about, but I'm also throwing in a few words on Robin Hood so grab your popcorn and get ready for a seriously opinionated persons view on various films.

Let's begin with Jane Eyre, shall we?

Jane Eyre (2011)

I actually already wrote a review about this. You can read it here.

Jane Eyre (2006)
Out of the three adaptions I've watched, this is by far my favorite. Masterpiece Theatre certainly knows how to please fans of the books. I love Mr. Rochester, I love Jane, I love the entire thing. It's just awesome.

Jane Eyre (1996)
I think you'll gather how I felt on this film when I say, I didn't finish watching it. It was almost comical. The plot was rushed, the characters were butchered and the acting was a farce. I skipped to the end just to see if they had managed to pull it together by then. They hadn't.

Moving on.

Robin Hood (2010)
Ever since I heard this movie was coming out I was interested. After all, its Robin Hood! The fact that Russell Crowe would be playing the infamous outlaw made me rather dubious, I tried to tell myself Ridley Scott knew what he was doing. In a way, I think maybe he did. I actually kind of liked the softer side Robin seemed to have in this movie, while still managing to be his irritating self. I liked the new twist on the story, that Robin Hood wasn't originally Robin of Loxley at all. I love this quote,

"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions."

It keeps running through my head and I find it rather inspiring.
However, as much as I liked about this movie, it just didn't come together for me. By the time it was over I had decided I didn't really like it. I'm not completely sure why. Maybe it just wasn't my kind of Robin Hood.


5 comments:

  1. I wasn't a huge fan of the 2010 version of Robin Hood either. It seemed like it had a lot of cool elements--the lambs become lions theme, Richard being dead, Robin pretending to be a lord and the interesting Robin-Marian relationship because of it (I really did like this version of the character)...and then it didn't really come together. On top of that there was a lot of PG-13 stuff that made it hard for me to watch. I didn't enjoy myself as much as I might've.

    My kind of Robin Hood as far as movies go is definitely the 1938 one--haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Rise and rise again until lambs become lions."... *sigh* That is inspiring. I haven't seen any of the Jane Eyre movies OR the new Robin Hood movie, but I really want to see the new Robin Hood movie soon. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as Robin Hood goes.... the music was amazing :P I listen to the soundtrack ALL THE TIME when I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 2006 Jane Eyre is also my favorite. The 1996 Jane Eyre was just... Not all there. But I do like, rather appreciate, how the 2011 version followed the book.

    I haven't seen the 2010 Robin Hood. I admit that I didn't like the idea of some old guy playing Robin. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 2006 version of Jane Eyre was my favorite and closest to the book - I've read the book 5 times! Can you tell I love Jane Eyre? I hated the 2011 version left out St. John's true love and the gypsy scene and how it jumped from one dinner party to suddenly Mr. Rochester's brother-in-law is there, and it skipped the staircase scene... In fact, the only place the 2011 version was even slightly close to the book was the school... ugh. I rant :)

    ReplyDelete