Friday, September 9, 2011

FASD Awareness Day

"What's it like to have a retarded person in the family?"
I've grown up being asked that question. Ever since we adopted my youngest brother. The one who still isn't "talking right." The one who can't read, or write. The one who has trouble throwing a football, and doesn't make friends easily, if at all.

Little known fact: September 9th is Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) awareness day.

My brother has FASD. Because his biological mother chose to drink while pregnant, he now has brain damage that can never be repaired.

FASD is completely avoidable. Raising awareness is easy. Prevention is not impossible.

Check out FAS Families of Faith blog to learn more!

2 comments:

  1. This is a really good post- I had no idea there was an awareness day for FASD xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Georgianna!

    I just wanted to let you know that you've been awarded the Lovely Blog Award on my blog if you'd like to head over there and pick it up. =)

    God bless,

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete