Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Troublesome Ones

Part of the reason, actually, probably the biggest reason, My Sam and I started Beautiful People was to have a way for writer's to get to know their characters. I would say it's worked wonderfully for at least the majority of those who have taken part. I know it's certainly helped me out a lot.

However, I'm beginning to wonder if there are some characters out there who just won't... come to life. I really don't know how else to put it. Let me try and explain.

When I'm writing, and I create a new character, I can see them in my minds eye. A lot of the time, they are just a name, or a vague image I can't quiet see yet. The character seems to be almost 2D, and as I discover more about them and their story, details begin to come clear. Colors are filled in, the fog is lifted. Last of all, when they really seem to come to life, it's almost as if someone has blown them up like a balloon. They become 3D. Real. That's what happens most the time at least.

Meet Miany Love Cealnoor. Her maiden name is Kingly. I could tell you the stories of her Father, husband, brother in law, and children. I could even tell you the story of her nurse maid from when she was a child. In telling you their stories, you would get the idea of her own. You would figure out where she stands in, and the parts she plays, but she would still be just a drawing on the page. She would never step out of the story and grab you by the throat.

I can't really classify her as a mary sue character. I can affirm that by saying I took The Writer's Mary Sue Test. They called her healthy with a great future ahead of her. Why am I not feeling the same way?

I've been struggling with Miany for around five years now. I've started writing her novel several times, but it never turns out. Why? I think it's her fault. So, today, I said this has to stop.

In my attempt to bring this character to life I'm writing a series of short stories about her, and I'm convinced I shall discover her story. If I fail in this mission I shall see about changing her to someone else entirely. I would get rid of the character, but someone's got to fill that space. I guess that's my biggest worry, I don't want a character to fill in the blanks. I want a character who will remove the blanks.

If you've made it to the end of this writer's rant, I salute you.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck bringing her to life- I'm sure you shall succeed triumphantly :) Just don't give up :D

    By the way, are you continuing BP this year? Is so, I think more than "what is their favorite (blank)," perhaps questions concerning how the character would react to certain circumstances or situations would be even more helpful :-) Just my humble suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that feeling a lot! Some of my characters seem to act the story out in my mind, and some of the others... just sit and watch me with blank faces. xxx

    ReplyDelete