Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Volume 1

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." ~ Sherlock Holmes


Wow… I loved this book! When I read the first story in it (A Study in Scarlet) several months ago I didn’t think I would like it at all. It took me forever to get through the one story, and I thought it was boring. I finally picked it up again though and began reading the next story, I couldn’t put it down. I had planned to stop at the next story and read another book, and then come back and read another story and so on, but I just kept right on reading till the end.

"Elementary," said he. "It is one of those instances where the reasoner can produce an effect which seems remarkable to his neighbor, because the latter has missed the one little point which is the basis of the deduction." ~ Sherlock Holmes

It made me wonder what kind of person Sir Arthur Conan Doyle must have been, to come up with all those ways to murder and rob people, to find clues and hints that would solve the case, and to come up with such interesting characters.

Although I did enjoy reading about Watson and Sherlock’s adventures I must remind you that it is about murder and crime, and Sherlock does do drugs, and is not the best role model so please make sure to ask your parents before checking it out from the library.

"You are the stormy petrel of crime, Watson."

~ Sherlock Holmes


Speaking of Watson… he is one cool guy. When Sherlock Holmes needs someone to do something that could determine the life and death of someone else he can always trust Watson, and Watson is always ready to take on the task. Watson’s faith in Holmes is amazing to read about.

"’You crossed my path on the fourth of January,’ said he. ‘On the twenty-third you incommoded me; by the middle of February I was seriously inconvenienced by you; at the end of March I was absolutely hampered in my plans; and now, at the close of April, I find myself placed in such a position through your continual persecution that I am in positive danger of losing my liberty. The situation is becoming an impossible one.’" ~ Professor Moriarty


Although I did enjoy the stories to no end I think a break for a little while before picking up Volume 2 will be nice.

All in all I give The Complete Sherlock Holmes Volume 1 five stars!

"And now, my dear Watson, we have had some weeks of severe work, and for one evening, I think, we may turn our thoughts into more pleasant channels." ~ Sherlock Holmes


1 comment:

  1. Haha, I completely understand! A Study in Scarlet is my least favorite Holmes I think. It's a shame that they put it at the beginning of the volume because it probably does turn people off.

    What's funny about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is that he was just the opposite of Holmes. Holmes is completely logical, but Conan Doyle spent most of his life obsessing over the supernatural.

    Thanks for commenting on my blog, I love your blog too! As soon as it popped up I knew we were 'kindred spirits.'

    ReplyDelete