Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Writer's Block

Writing for me is not just a hobby, it’s a passion, and a love that I can’t seem to get away from. I enjoy my writing so much, and thank God every day for giving me this awesome gift, but every now and then I get to a point where I can’t write. Everything I was working on seems to come to a stand still, and it all started with one thing.

Normally it’s the thing I’ve been working on the most. A story, article, novel, doesn’t matter, I come to a place where I don’t know where to go next and things start falling apart. I put it away and try again the next day with the same results. So I try to write something else, but I can’t keep the other thing off my mind, and I end up writing myself into a corner on what I am working on.

Before I know it I have a hundred little writers blocks made into one big one "the size of the grand cannon" as a lady at a writers meeting I go to put it.

Now is when I start going crazy, trying to write, but thinking everything sounds terrible. Not writing at all for days on end, and going insane because I can’t figure out what to do.

Then one day something happens, a phrase in a book I was reading maybe? Something a friend said? It could have been something I saw while out and about in town, it doesn't matter what it is, but it always feels like someone handing me a chisel.

Then before I know it something else has happened that makes me feel like I now have a hammer in my hand. Small things start to happen that make me start working away at that writers block, till one day I see light on the other side. The next day I can stick my hand through it. A week later the whole thing crumbles down around me and I can walk through the rubble triumphant. My computer is waiting on the other side with the document this whole thing started with on the screen. I sit down, and write the scene that I thought was so hard. Hit myself on the head because it was so easy… and start the whole thing over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment