Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Post that is Really Just Me Rambling About my Trouble Child

As I just told a friend of mine, 99% of the time, when I've got writer's block, character analysis will help me figure it all out. Even if I didn't think it had anything to do with the characters ( < That isn't possible by the way, it always has to do with the characters). If I go back and do more character sketches, write short stories about the character, dig deeper into who they are, I discover something new that helps me figure out the road block in the plot.

I say 99% of the time because I know for sure it doesn't work all the time. Example.

You guys remember Heskith? You met him here, and here.

I can tell you a lot of about Heskith. He was born to a wealthy family and was raised to be the best body guard he could be. He has an older brother who turned evil and just to spite his father, he planted the seed to box in Heskith's mind. Why? Because the perfect body guard should keep himself in top condition, and staying up all night to beat people with his firsts acts as a distraction.
He loves Miany, the princess of the kingdom and the daughter of the man he spent years protecting, but doesn't really know how to tell her.
He's pretty wicked with a sword, can hold his own with knives, and generally tries to avoid bows.
He eventually becomes King, has two children, and tries everything in his power to avoid a major war that would bring his kingdom to ruin.

I could probably tell you even more about Dugan, Heskith's brother. Don't worry, I won't, if only because I don't really have the time, but I recently used him in a Beautiful People post.

The point is. I know these guys. I know their story. I know how they feel, how they move, what they like, what they eat, who they get along with, and even how they sleep at night. I've analyzed them into the ground, and yet I still can't seem to bring their story together. It's in my head, but putting that into words just hasn't worked out.

No, I'm not giving up. While having so much trouble writing this blasted novel is killing me, dropping the characters in the dirt would probably be the last twist of the knife. I don't think I could do it.

Maybe I just need to go back further. Maybe I'm not starting at the right point in the story. Maybe I need to start with the story that leads up to this story. Yes... maybe that's it...

4 comments:

  1. Good luck - I recently had horrible writers block with my story. I had originally written it when I was 14 and it was horrible, although the idea was pretty good. But I gave up writing it and just tried starting it again, but now I don't even know where to open up and I don't know how to break my writers block...
    Ugh, so good luck to ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been tagged! :)

    ~Keaghan
    www.whisperabovethethunder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I was just getting really interested... tell me more!:) It sounds really good! My guess at your problem is that you know these guys to well??? Good luck... I am sure it is going to be amazing

    ThymeRose (Aka Vienna. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when this happens. I hope you come through it, because this story sound really awesome.
    I understand the knowing it in your head but there seems to be a block of the flow like a dammed river it just stops flowing. Yah I know that feeling its infuriating and frustrating and makes you feel like bursting with annoyance at your own momentary incompetence. I love how you analyze your characters, I think I will try this with all my stories.
    Blessings
    Rachel Hope >>http://hopespuntreasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete